POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
17 May 2024 22:00:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 19 May 2000 03:25:15
Message: <3924ec5b@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> I don't agree. I think the voters should be able to compare the logos on
the
> same basis.

(All this mail is about personal preferences - I am not trying to impose my
point of view, just explaining it. Read all this as IMHO)

I agree. But I'd prefer _guidelines_ to rules. If an entrant do not want to
make his logo easily comparable, it would be his responsibility/decision.
Hence he can not protest were he penalised for doing so. And I think voters
are intelligent and educated enough to compare slightly different formats.

> They also should be able to see how the logo looks in certain
> different formats so they can see how flexible it is and how it looks when
> presented very simple.

Logo representation and presentation are parts of the same work. It is
author responsibility to demonstrate his logo's flexibility.

> There might be more possible fuss/protestations from the voters when they
> can't compare the logos properly... ;-)

So, they can express they protest when rating the offending logo(s).

> > Perhaps a rule about a max number of
> > logo(s) by the same person.
>
> Why should we have a max number of different logos per person? (We *are*
> talking about *different* logos, right?) What purpose would it serve other
> than suppressing creativity? I think it is in our interest to get as many
> logos as possible.

My answer once again boils down to authors' responsibility.

I suppose we do not want to see 50+ slight variations on the same logo. The
author has to make decisions to get a reasonable ratio of logos/concept. If
he wants help/advice from his peers, he can - eg in these groups, like
TonyB - but the competition is not the place to get such advice.

I also think that a logo is much work. It is often better to spend his time
furthering a low number of logo/concept to take them as far as one can then
spending all his time brain-storming to get as many logo/concept as possible
but perfecting none of them. Once again, if one want advice on which
logo/concept to develop, one can ask, but I do not think this should be the
purpose of the competition.

I think a limit of 3 to 5 logo/author would be reasonable.

It should be (imho) the author responsibility to choose the best between his
tries, as this is (imho) also part of the design process.

> There maybe should be some restrictions, but they should
> not be based on who has made the logos.

I think a restriction on the total number of logos, independent of a
number/author limit, can be a much worse creativity restriction (the more so
if the firsts submitters each post numerous variations).

I hope this clarifies my opinion and I'd be glad to further any explanation
if necessary.

Greetings

Philippe